Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,513 Members Engaging In 351 Posts

Home Forums Classroom Management TOO MUCH PAPER!!!!

Profile photo of Beth

TOO MUCH PAPER!!!!

Posted by bskaret
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Beth
    bskaret
    Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2012
    Minnesota
  • July 19, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I HATE having piles of paper to keep track of. If I can communicate and keep track of data digitally I will. Consequently, I feel guilty sending home worksheet after worksheet each day. As a parent I can also say, unless it has some glaring Look At Me on it, I hardly glance at my kids daily take home papers. Last year one of my students was throwing out his returned homework before he left school and when I confronted him, he said his mom just puts in a pile to burn anyway. So…how can we share student progress on a regular basis without drowning everyone in paper that no one wants?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • July 20, 2016 at 10:22 am

I understand how you feel. I hate when I have to remind my Ks to make sure that they clean out their folders every night, sometimes it’s obvious that no one has ever taken a paper out of their folder. Could you go the digital route and use Google Classroom or some type of digital portfolio?

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 2003
    Hawaii
  • July 20, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I agree w/bskaret. We teachers spend so much time correcting and returning student work and families hardly care. Some I keep as record of student work, rest I ask students if they want to include in their year portfolios. The rest I tell them they can do what they want. Some use to draw on, make paper airplanes, etc.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2012
    Minnesota
  • July 21, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Megan, we do have the ability to use Google Classroom – an initiative I pushed last year. The problem I encountered there is that if parents didn’t already have a google account they could not access the posts and several were unwilling to open an account even after I explained that they could have the notifications forwarded to the email they check regularly. So frustrating! My intention is to go fully google classroom this year and only send home paper by request with a one week time limit. I can’t hold on to papers longer than that or they start to get lost. I feel like I’m sort of bullying parents into it, but I don’t know what else to do.

Report this post
  • Special Education Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2007
    Pennsylvania
  • August 27, 2016 at 4:38 am

I teach in a high poverty area so a lot of parents don’t have access to the internet. I send home a weekly progress report with their grades on it, with a little tear off piece that the parent must sign and send back. Bright paper helps. I’ll send a specific assignment home if they have questions about it. At report card time, I let the parents look through and take what they want. If they don’t show up for the conference, I just send it home with the student. It’s still a lot of paper, but a bit more streamlined to give out one sheet vs. a week’s worthof work.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center