Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,670 Members Engaging In 368 Posts

Home Forums Classroom Management Non-English Speaking Parents

Profile photo of

Non-English Speaking Parents

Posted by
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of
  • July 8, 2016 at 3:24 pm

What are some suggestions on how to communicate best with the parents that do not speak English?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2014
    Connecticut
  • July 11, 2016 at 2:25 pm

When communicating with parents who do not speak English, I often try and send a translated version of my note or email. This not only helps with communication but it lets the parents know that I am truly interested in their child’s success and the best way to help their children is to have support from home.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Middle School
    California
  • July 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I agree with MissMaher, great way to communicate. I also make a point of connecting with them at least 3-4 times a week, even if just to say hi and to let them know I am here if needed. I have also asked them to help during parties, buddying them up with a parent. This helps them to feel like part of the group.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Virginia
  • August 6, 2016 at 8:57 am

Our school has students who speak over 40 different languages and dialects at home. Often there is an older student in the school that speaks the language and can help with some simple written translations. The district or ELL department in your district may have translators available for conferences and IEP meetings. Send pictures home of what their child is doing in class to help them feel connected. Making your newsletters as visual as possible helps. Think putting a calendar with dates marked and and a visual of what is happening that day on it. We hosted an International Night where parents could come set up a booth with food, pictures, music, crafts, etc. reflecting their culture. It was amazing to see families participate who we had never had take part in school functions before. The key was to make them feel welcome in a way that they felt they could give back.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center