Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,513 Members Engaging In 351 Posts

Home Forums Classroom Management Library Organization Tips Needed!

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Library Organization Tips Needed!

Posted by Brandi Jordan
Updated 10 months ago by Melinda
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • December 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm

It’s almost mid-way through the school year and the classroom library is disorganized and in desperate need of help.  How do you keep your classroom library organized and functioning throughout the year?  What are your best teaching tips and tricks for library organization?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 1996
  • December 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I *LOVE* my classroom library this year! I have it organized by reading level ->genre ->alphabetically by author.  EVERYTHING is color coded (thanks to the Really Good Stuff rainbow book bins! Seriously, they’ve saved my library this year!).  I have parents help sort and order things at least once a week so it stays neat and organized. My advice would be to color code everything.  EVERYTHING. =)

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    4th Grade
    California
  • December 17, 2016 at 10:36 am

I have been teaching for more than 20 years, so I have a large classroom library. All books are in baskets, most of which I purchased from Really Good Stuff. I divided the library into different sections and color coded each section based on the type of book using different color baskets and labels. I have all non-fiction books in white baskets by topic, such as reptiles, human body, soccer, and art. Then I group those topics into sections, so all the animal baskets are on one bookshelf, and all the science related books are on another shelf. Fiction books are in green baskets by genre, and I also have purple baskets with books by one author in each basket. There are also smaller baskets with series books organized with one or two series in each basket. I put chapter books in smaller baskets and picture books in large baskets facing horizontally so students can see the titles.

Report this post
  • Art Teacher
    Middle School
    Teaching since: 2000
    Arkansas
  • December 19, 2016 at 10:01 am

@joliger – That’s a terrific idea to put them not only in different baskets or bins, but on different shelves, as well! Smart thinking!! @jenna – Color coding is such an awesome tool!

My advice is to have student helpers organize your library once a week (or every other week) during lunchtime. The kids love having lunch with you in the classroom and it’s a great chance to talk about books with them. =)

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Preschool
    Teaching since: 2000
    Alabama
  • December 20, 2016 at 9:19 am

I switch out a lot of my books every month, so I have a constantly rotating selection of books for my kids. I used to put everything out all at once, but found that was a hot mess by the end of September. 😉 So, I started making a big deal out of the switches each month and that’s helped keep things organized and tidy.  My students love to see what’s new and since I model how to check books out of the library a lot at the beginning of the year, they have it pretty well down.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2012
    New Mexico
  • December 22, 2016 at 1:25 pm

The best thing you can do is to do a lot of prep work BEFORE school starts.  Color code, sort, organize, and have a plan before students even walk in.  If it’s mid-year, do it over the winter break.  It’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it in the long run.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center