Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,438 Members Engaging In 351 Posts

Home Forums K-8 General Discussion Indoor Recess Suggestions Needed!

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Indoor Recess Suggestions Needed!

• Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • January 13, 2017 at 7:38 am

Amanda, a Really Good Teacher from Maine, needs help!

“I recently moved from Arizona to take a job teaching in Maine.  As you can imagine, the climate is A LOT different from what I’m used to. I need some new inside recess ideas STAT!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    4th Grade
    Teaching since: 1994
    Texas
  • January 15, 2017 at 8:47 pm

You could play Hangman which a lot of students like and you can even change the game up with words that go with themes like STAR WARS! Students can play as individuals or groups. Another thing they love is old fashioned bingo with the basket rolling or even banannagrams!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2003
    California
  • January 17, 2017 at 1:35 am

My favorite indoor recess activity is GoNoodle.com It gets kids moving and active with cool crazy songs without having to go outside. It’s also a good brain break activity!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    5th Grade
    Teaching since: 1999
    Mississippi
  • January 17, 2017 at 7:19 am

I was at a museum a few years ago, and my own children would not leave the Keva blocks table. We love these! So I used my EEF $ and bought a few sets. You should see the creative ways my students have built with these simple blocks.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Nebraska
  • January 17, 2017 at 11:57 am

We use a few options, because we are very familiar with indoor recess. Here are some things we do: four corners, heads up seven up, GoNoodle, and simon says. You could also create your own “cake walk” like game with numbers, shapes, addition, letters, letter sounds, cvc words or sight words. Make them on laminated paper, place on the ground and have the kids walk around to music. When the music stops say a number, shape, letter, letter sound, cvc word or sight word. Those standing on that word stay and the rest sit down for the next round. Now, I would do 3 or 4 choices of each that you pick, so that a third or fourth are left standing. You can adjust it to fit your liking.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 1993
    Texas
  • January 17, 2017 at 4:09 pm

We like to use Jack Hartmann videos to get the kids up and moving along with GoNoodle!  I also use indoor recess as a great time to spread the kids out in small groups to work on large floor puzzles that are usually to big to put together during Center Time.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • January 18, 2017 at 12:24 pm

When we have indoor recess we use GoNoodle a lot, this gets them and gets moving.  Sometimes we also play heads down, thumbs up.  We have a large commons area in out pod where the kids go on days we have indoor recess, there are puzzles, games, coloring sheet, and we also have two foos ball tables.  I like activities that get the kids up and moving so they are expelling some of that energy.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center