Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,346 Members Engaging In 354 Posts

Home Forums Technology How do you use tech in your centers?

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

How do you use tech in your centers?

Posted by Brandi Jordan
Updated 1 year ago by LL78
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • August 5, 2016 at 5:10 am

August is Tech in the Classroom Month here at Really Good Teachers and we want to know how you use technology in your learning centers! What’s the best advice you would give to someone who might be considering adding more tech based lessons to their instruction?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • August 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm

I usually have a center of 4-5 ipads and have them working on apps that reinforce letter and words that we are working on. One of our favorite is Word Wagon from Duck Duck Moose.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    4th Grade
    Teaching since: 2007
    Maryland
  • August 17, 2016 at 2:25 am

I use iPads and Kindles during centers or independent practice. Students can practice reading skills and vocabulary. Popplet is a great app for many subject areas. The students can make a web to practice character traits or cause and effect. Students practice vocabulary using Haiku Deck. They can create slideshows with it and choose different backgrounds. I also have students practice finding text evidence by using an app called Paperport Notes. The app allows students to highlight text and use digital sticky notes.

I am lucky to have several chromebooks which my students use during centers or independent work. Quizlet is a great site for vocabulary practice. I can add any vocabulary words, and students can choose from several fun activities for practice.

My students love to use digital task cards. Digital task cards are just like paper task cards. They can be used for almost any skill, but digital task cards don’t need to be cut and laminated. They’re much easier and they save paper. Of course, they’re just as fun and educational for the students.

My advice for teachers would be to take it slowly. Experiment with different apps and websites. Don’t try to introduce too many new apps/sites at once.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    New York
  • August 17, 2016 at 9:19 am

I have used 1-2 ipads in a reading center during reading workshop. I also have headphone splitters so more than 1 student can be on each ipad and/or work in partnerships. The app we use the most is “RazKids” with different interactive books and comprehension questions. I also have apps for newcomers who are new to the English language, and they rotate into the ipad center more often then other students. My advice would be to start small with just one technology center and make a clear schedule so students understand when it is their turn.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center