Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,016 Members Engaging In 344 Posts

Home Forums K-8 General Discussion How do you celebrate student birthdays?

Profile photo of Beth

How do you celebrate student birthdays?

Posted by bskaret
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Beth
    bskaret
    Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2012
    Minnesota
  • July 28, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Students love an excuse to have a celebration with a party ( and don’t forget the cupcakes!). Birthdays are an obvious way to do this. Still, it takes precious time away from instruction and there are so many of them! Don’t even get me started about the year we had six birthdays in one week! Oy!
    My plan to tame the sugar highs and hang on to my class time is this: At the start of the year I layout when each student birthday is going to be. I notify families in the welcome to my class packet that, in my classroom, we celebrate birthdays only on the second Friday of the month during the last 45 minutes of class. Anyone who has a birthday in that month can bring in a treat or collaborate with others to bring treats at that time. I supply decoration, the birthday hats and give a birthday pencil and homework pass to the birthday students. This way everyone gets the same thing and no one gets left out. The parent bringing treats helps clean up and the class gets an extra recess at the end of that day. This way I know exactly when and how much time I lose to birthdays. It worked out really well.
    What do you do about birthdays?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • January 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm

It’s left up to the kids and parents, I allow them to bring a treat.  They get a sticker from me to wear all day, we sing happy birthday and then I also have a little gift bag with some goodies in it for them.  We usually celebrate our birthdays the last 30 minutes of the day.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center