Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,335 Members Engaging In 353 Posts

Home Forums Behavior Management Helping Wiggly Learners Succeed

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Helping Wiggly Learners Succeed

• Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • January 20, 2017 at 10:14 am

A Really Good Teacher Needs Your Help!

Jenny from Texas wrote to ask:

“I need suggestions! My first graders are super wiggly this year! Some are diagnosed with AD/HD and others just have a bad case of the wiggles.  I’ve been teaching for five years and have a lot of tricks up my sleeve, but this year’s class has me stumped! I’d appreciate any suggestions for helping my kiddos control their wiggles! Thank you!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 1982
    New Hampshire
  • January 22, 2017 at 8:36 pm

I have many active little ones this year as well so I have added lots of seating choices for wiggly students. Here is the list of the choices the children have to use to sit and do work or for a break:                           yoga ball (We use a round animal feed tub under it so it won’t roll that we got at our local Tractor Supply store.),

child size rocking chair,                        rocker seat that sits on the floor (from Walmart),          a standing table where students can choose to stand to do their work,

Disco seat (rubber with nubs and air that allows kiddos to wiggle, sits right on chair, from our occupational therapist),            a regular high bar stool,

a ‘cushy’ teacher’s chair on wheels,                            and a stationary pedaler. This last one is for a break.

I’m also looking to get ‘stretch bands’ to put on either our table legs or student’s chair legs for them to be able to ‘bounce’ their feet on them.

I hope that helps; it has helped our students.

Nanci, a long time educator

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2003
    California
  • January 24, 2017 at 2:14 am

This year I was  fortunate to get a project funded through Donors Choose for alternative seating. Wobble stools, exercise balls and low cushions has help my most wiggly students move and and learn without disrupting the rest of the class.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    4th Grade
    Teaching since: 2000
    North Carolina
  • January 24, 2017 at 4:25 am

While I have never taught first grade, I do teach 4th grade (for 17 years). Have you tried having them stand and wiggle around? With your guidance, naturally, or it might get a bit out of hand. Simple things like shaking their hands, jumping up & down, wiggle right/left leg/arm, etc. Or, in some cases, just stand and wiggle. Works ALMOST every time.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • February 1, 2017 at 7:58 pm

You could possible try some alternative seating. Laying on the floor with clip board to write on, yoga balls, wobble chairs, ect.  I also have a couple who have a hard time sitting in their chairs so I have them in the back of the room so that they can stand up and move and not distract others around them.

Report this post
  • Idaho
  • February 27, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Have you ever tried GoNoodle.com with your students?  Super great website that is free and allows students to get their wiggles out.  My son’s 1st Grade teacher used it last year and they loved it.  My daughter is in 1st Grade now and loves it too.  It won’t help during lessons but if they have an opportunity to be up moving before an important lesson that could help.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center