Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,442 Members Engaging In 351 Posts

Home Forums K-8 General Discussion Favorite First Day of School Traditions?

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Favorite First Day of School Traditions?

• Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • July 6, 2016 at 2:21 pm

What are some of your favorite first day of school traditions?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • July 6, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Jitter Juice, The Kissing Hand, School Scavenger Hunt just to name a few.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2002
    Washington
  • July 7, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I really like “First Day Jitters”.

Report this post
  • Special Education Teacher
    High School
    Teaching since: 2011
    New Hampshire
  • July 19, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Two truths and a lie, summer vacation edition

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    3rd Grade
    California
  • July 19, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Our students line up outside on the playground. I usually go out before the bell rings and walk down the line greeting each child with a good morning and a smile. I feel it eases their nerves a little.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2012
    Minnesota
  • July 19, 2016 at 3:50 pm

I teach in a private school where most of the students have been in the same class for two years already, so rather than an “all about me” activity for each student, I do a survey at open house for my benefit. On the first day of school it’s their chance to get to know me. We play a jeopardy type game on the smart board with some basic information that the students can infer about me based on things I have in my classroom.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Illinois
  • July 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm

First Day Jitters, School scavenger hunt matching my classroom theme, classroom tour. Ready Confetti, sent home two nights before at open house.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2013
    South Carolina
  • July 19, 2016 at 4:22 pm

One of my favorite traditions is to read “First Day Jitters” and then I’ll post various emotions that students feel about the first day of school around the classroom. Students will go to the emotion they feel and then explain why they feel that way. At the end of the week we do the activity again and see how the student’s emotions change.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 1986
    Mississippi
  • July 19, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I like to introduce “Captain Try-Angle”! My Last name is Angle.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    New York
  • July 19, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I also love First Day Jitters! After we read it, everyone gets some “Jitter Glitter” (sparkles) to make their jitters disappear!

Report this post
  • Elementary School
    Massachusetts
  • July 19, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Get to know me worksheets to share with peers

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Wisconsin
  • July 19, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I have the parents write a message for their child’s first day of school; then we read them during the day.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2007
    Missouri
  • July 19, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I teach kinder and I LOVE “The Kissing Hand” book. I normally read the story and the students trace and create their own hand, with a heart sticker in the middle of it to take home that day to give to their parents!!!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2005
    Texas
  • July 19, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I like to use the First Day Jitters as well. We also complete a getting to know you sheet and share with a partner. Then the partner tells one thing they remember about their new classmate. The second day we read Crysanthum to discuss bullying and a bully free zone.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 1974
    New York
  • July 19, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I take pictures of each child during snack to add to the fish on a large paper fishbowl outside our door. I make two set of fish using http://www.tagxedo.com and the student’s name. One fish goes up before the children arrive and then I add the pictures to the other set and laminate them. On the last day of school, the fish go home with the children. Some year we do apples on a tree.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    5th Grade
    Teaching since: 2005
    Texas
  • July 19, 2016 at 11:22 pm

5th grade science first/second day- we will be decorating the cover of our science journals with items that represent each student. They will be allowed to include pictures of their family, friends, or simply items that they like. This allows me to see what is important to each individual student.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 1987
    Texas
  • July 20, 2016 at 1:12 am

I love to read the book “How I Spent My Summer Vacation” by Mark Teague and then have students share their summer vacation stories. I also love to read “First Day Jitters”
    We do a number of ice breaker activities to get to know one another – the students love to see if they can answer the ‘How Well Do You Know Your New Teacher?” questionnaire. They answer it as best they can, then take it home to share with their family. The answers are sent home on the 2nd or 3rd day of school. It is always a big hit.
    I am so excited about the new Really Good Teacher Forum – thanks for implementing this! I love to learn from other educators as well as share great ideas and resources!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 2016
    Colorado
  • July 20, 2016 at 2:38 am

I do either First Day Jitters or The Kissing Hand along with a craft!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    4th Grade
    North Carolina
  • July 20, 2016 at 5:26 am

We do a getting to know you activity. I also hang an anchor chart titled “How did you read over the summer?” and the children write their answers on a sticky note to put on the chart. I also read some back to school books to ease their transition into 4th grade like “First Day Jitters” and “A Fine, Fine School” by Sharon Creech.

Report this post
  • Elementary School
    New York
  • July 20, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I always take pictures of the kids on the first day. I like to do it during recess – the sun is usually out, and their nervousness subsides during playtime. I also get to see to whom they each gravitate, so I can create seating groups accordingly! Sometimes kids need a nudge if they aren’t making friends right away, and sometimes they probably shouldn’t be seated with their only friend. You can learn a lot about them on the playground!! And they always love seeing their photos on their webpage or around the room – we actually use them for many different purposes.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 1996
    New Hampshire
  • July 20, 2016 at 11:41 pm

a classroom scavenger hunt and a get to know you questions

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Missouri
  • July 22, 2016 at 9:27 am

Began a new tradition last year. I take a photo of the kids with a First Day of School Frame and then send it in an email with a little note to parents. They love it! Then I put it in their memory book that I make for each child at the end of the year.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Wyoming
  • August 11, 2016 at 3:49 pm

The past couple years we’ve read jitter juice and then make jitter juice after we listen to the story. We talk about how we felt coming to school on the 1st day, draw a picture of how we are feeling, and add the page to our end of the year memory book.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center