Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,426 Members Engaging In 351 Posts

Home Forums K-8 General Discussion Do You Still Have Calendar Time?

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Do You Still Have Calendar Time?

• Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • December 28, 2016 at 6:23 am

Help a Teacher Out!

Bethany asks: “Do you still have calendar time or have you dropped it? I teach first grade and while my kids seem to like it and learn from it, it definitely eats up a valuable chunk of our day.  I’m curious as to whether others still do it or if they’ve made modifications.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
  • December 29, 2016 at 11:08 am

I do! I know a lot of teachers in my district have cut down on it, but I still do it.  I think it’s important and my kids learn a lot!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2008
    Texas
  • December 29, 2016 at 11:07 pm

At my school, we do have calendar time. It is part of our curriculum. I have found it to be a productive part of our day. I can see that it is very important for the students to learn calendar skills, especially when it seems that everything they do is electronic. We go over things like the month, year, day and date, and specifically the full date. We end by saying “Today is ‘day, month date, year.'” We also count the number of days we have been to school. We identify and talk about the number of the day. Sometimes though, we do a modified version of calendar time if we are in a time constraint. Overall, I have observed that it is a skill that is helpful for students!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2014
    Washington
  • December 30, 2016 at 2:22 am

I do a 20 minute calendar time during our math core instruction. We count the days we’ve been in school with tens and ones. We also do a few counting videos and dance videos as a brain break. It involves math and the students are starting to remember the days of the week.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
  • December 30, 2016 at 7:23 am

@chrystany – What a GREAT idea to do it during math time!! I’ve only ever done it at the beginning of the day! Thanks so much for the idea!!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2013
    Indiana
  • December 30, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I do, it’s a great review of counting, learning months and days of the week, weather and I also incorporate shapes, alphabet and sight weird review into our calendar time as well.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 1985
    Georgia
  • December 30, 2016 at 11:06 pm

We begin our day in large group at our calendar.  I love challenging students with patterns each month using different pix for the numbers we add each day.  We introduce and then review even and odd numbers on the calendar.  Of course, students learn days of the week and months of the year.  We talk about the seasons for each month as well as holidays.  We count the number of days we have been in school giving us experience with ones, tens, and hundreds.  We learn words including yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  We talk about what number comes before and after the number of the day.  We add one to it and subtract one from it.  Later in the year we add 10 and subtract 10.  We have a piggy bank and put the correct coins in the bank each day that equals the number of the day.  We also work on addition and subtraction with the number of the day being the sum and or difference.  Even after 32 years, I am amazed every year at how much my kiddos learn from simple activities that challenge their minds in large group calendar time!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Early Childhood
    Teaching since: 2004
    Texas
  • December 31, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I love Calendar Time.  My Helper-of-the-Day in Pre K is responsible for doing this routine with me, and should I forget, I am immediately reminded!  When I taught Kinder and 1st, Calender Helper was one of many jobs in the classroom.  The children like having this predictable piece of the day, and it’s great for introducing new concepts and reviewing others.  The passage of time is an interesting aspect of Calendar Time – I love to talk about what we’re seeing in the stores (holidays), predicting what comes next, how many birthdays we will be celebrating, and special days.  It is so great when the students start telling you which day is your library day, whose turn it is to be the Helper. I love the flexibility with Calendar Time; you can cover the minimum or reach several concepts during this routine.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2012
    New Mexico
  • January 3, 2017 at 11:34 am

I still do calendar time too! We go over everything from math concepts to science concepts to language arts.  It takes a lot of time, but I can’t imagine cutting it out of the daily routine.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2014
    Tennessee
  • January 4, 2017 at 10:08 am

I teach 3rd grade, so we do not have a specific “calendar time”. But, I still have a calendar displayed and model how I plan ahead by writing in important dates/events. Understanding how to use a calendar is very important.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • January 4, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I do, it’s part of our Morning Meeting.

We listen to the Month of the Year song and the Days of the Week

Today is?  Yesterday was?  Tomorrow will be?

Then we say, today is Wednesday January 3, 2017.

We keep track of how many days we’ve been in school, count by ones, 5’s, and 10.

I also have a weather component. For this week keep track of the weather and create graphs from it.

Many skills that can be taught during calendar time that either are not specially addressed in kindergarten anymore or aren’t addressed until the end of the year.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center