Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,615 Members Engaging In 364 Posts

Home Forums Behavior Management Chatty Classroom

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Chatty Classroom

• Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • October 1, 2016 at 6:26 am

One of our Facebook friends needs help!

I have a class full of talkers…..I have no idea how to tame it! I’ve tried everything in my toolbox!!!! Help!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    5th Grade
    Teaching since: 2011
    Iowa
  • October 6, 2016 at 6:59 am

I play a game called “Beat The Teacher” and it helps my students. The basic premise is: I count down from 5 and if all voices are off and attention is on me, the students receive a point. If they aren’t, the teacher receives a point. I can count fast or slow, loud or quiet, the students have to be ready & listening. I keep a tally all day and if the students win, they get a GoNoodle or other activity. If I win, the students owe me 3-5 minutes of recess. My students are really motivated by the game. Once they have it down, I will add in the challenge of keeping the total number of tallies below a certain number (depends on the class.)

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2012
    New Mexico
  • December 16, 2016 at 11:24 am

I use a little bell to grab attention and then start talking quietly.  The less they talk, the louder my voice gets until it’s at a normal speaking voice.  I also walk around the classroom and stand right behind or next to the kids who are chatting.  It usually stops the talking right away.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 1996
  • December 19, 2016 at 10:15 am

I use ClassDojo and it works well for this year’s class.  Last year’s not so much, but my class this year responds well to it.  We also do A LOT of movement activities and that helps them get out excess energy. 😉

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • January 4, 2017 at 5:50 pm

When my kindergarten kids come in to the classroom in the morning, they get 5 Blurt Beans.  We have two jars one that we work on filling to earn a reward and the other to collect any blurt beans for when we blurt or talk when we are suppose to be listening.  This has really worked, at the beginning a few would lose all their beans, when they realized I was serious about the blurting and overall general chattiness less beans have been lost.  Now our reward jar fills faster then the blurt bean jar.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center