Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,615 Members Engaging In 364 Posts

Home Forums Behavior Management Chatty Class Advice Needed

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Chatty Class Advice Needed

Posted by Brandi Jordan
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • January 4, 2017 at 6:00 am

Can you help a teacher out?

Sarah, a Really Good 2nd grade teacher in Michigan, sent in a question about her managing a chatty classroom.  She asked:

“What techniques do you use or tips do you have for managing a very chatty classroom? My students this year are terrific, but they are very social and it’s hard to stop them from chatting with their neighbors – all the time!  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2003
    California
  • January 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

This has helped me every year in my class. I have these reward cards that I passed out randomly to students I see on task.  The cards have messages like lunch with the teacher, take your shoes, off line jumper, etc. I got these off of Pinterest for free. Students never know when I’m going to pass them out so they always remain on task.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2003
    California
  • January 6, 2017 at 11:41 am

I forgot to post my number one solution to chatty kids. Class dojo is awesome ! You can add or take way points based on their behavior and their parents can see it from a computer iPad or their phones . Students get quiet immediately once they hear the sound of points dropping or being added . Because they know that their parents are watching .Best class management tool ever!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2013
    Kentucky
  • January 7, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I like to use MYSTERY student. With this,  I pick a girl and boy student to watch for good behavior, they have idea who I pick. If this student does a good job during (line up,  class work,  centers,  etc…) they get a point in our classroom dojo (the online FREE classroom management site another use r mentioned in this thread).  The site even has a random student picker that can help u choose. You can also give out a raffle ticket for the mystery person as a way to motivate behavior you want to see.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2012
    New Mexico
  • January 9, 2017 at 10:16 am

I’ve tried Class Dojo in the past, but it seemed like too much of a distraction for my students.  I like the Mystery Student idea though!!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    High School
    Teaching since: 2000
    Florida
  • January 10, 2017 at 5:00 pm

I try to work with them and not against them 🙂 I provide an opportunity for partner or group work at the beginning of class to let them get it out of their system. Then transition to independent activity (quiet work). I also work with my more chattier classes to get them on a topic and let talk as long as it is on topic with what they are doing. I try to weigh whether the chattiness I really a problem or just annoying to me 🙂 I can’t sit in a room all day with friends and not chat. Sometimes it is helpful to see things from their perspectives.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 1998
    Missouri
  • March 29, 2017 at 11:30 pm

I have a chatty bunch of smart kiddos too. I have incorporated a point system that I have seen used in my building in different primary rooms. It is displayed in an area where everyone can see points being added, but they can be taken away too. Once a group earns 5 points they earn a reward for making great choices with volume and staying on task the most. A star is placed under that group’s name for every 5 tallies earned, then the tallies begin again. It’s simply written on a whiteboard that can be easily erased. You should see groups have friendly competitions to see who will earn the next points. It is completely random when the groups earn the points, but they understand it is for outstanding inside voice and self- control the most. I have some groups with negative points that eventually turn it around because they see the incentive of the other groups working together to earn the points. The rewards are as simple as sitting in a different spot, to earning happy notes home, or cool stickers. Once a group earns 5 stars then they earn Grab-box that have cooler rewards! This is when they start over from the beginning again. We haven’t made it to a group getting 5 stars yet because I have a really active group. We also earn fun brain breaks(GoNoodle.com) too when they make their best effort as a class as a whole. We are really working on teamwork to earn class rewards so they know that when we work together we all win.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    3rd Grade
    Teaching since: 2006
    Illinois
  • April 22, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I  use the point system with rewards in my classroom, too. My third-graders love it. (Unfortunately, Class Dojo does nothing for them.) I’m moving to fifth grade next year. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with chatty fifth-graders?

Sherri G.

Report this post
  • Connecticut
  • June 16, 2017 at 10:50 am

I use the call and respond technique. It’s fun and it gets the kids attention. Some times it take a few tries but it hasn’t failed me yet.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center