Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 881 Members Engaging In 340 Posts

Home Forums Behavior Management Chatty Class Advice Needed

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Chatty Class Advice Needed

Posted byBrandi Jordan
Updated 3 weeks ago by amummau
  • Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • January 4, 2017 at 6:00 am

Can you help a teacher out?

Sarah, a Really Good 2nd grade teacher in Michigan, sent in a question about her managing a chatty classroom.  She asked:

“What techniques do you use or tips do you have for managing a very chatty classroom? My students this year are terrific, but they are very social and it’s hard to stop them from chatting with their neighbors – all the time!  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2003
    California
  • January 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

This has helped me every year in my class. I have these reward cards that I passed out randomly to students I see on task.  The cards have messages like lunch with the teacher, take your shoes, off line jumper, etc. I got these off of Pinterest for free. Students never know when I’m going to pass them out so they always remain on task.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2003
    California
  • January 6, 2017 at 11:41 am

I forgot to post my number one solution to chatty kids. Class dojo is awesome ! You can add or take way points based on their behavior and their parents can see it from a computer iPad or their phones . Students get quiet immediately once they hear the sound of points dropping or being added . Because they know that their parents are watching .Best class management tool ever!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    2nd Grade
    Teaching since: 2013
    Kentucky
  • January 7, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I like to use MYSTERY student. With this,  I pick a girl and boy student to watch for good behavior, they have idea who I pick. If this student does a good job during (line up,  class work,  centers,  etc…) they get a point in our classroom dojo (the online FREE classroom management site another use r mentioned in this thread).  The site even has a random student picker that can help u choose. You can also give out a raffle ticket for the mystery person as a way to motivate behavior you want to see.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2012
    New Mexico
  • January 9, 2017 at 10:16 am

I’ve tried Class Dojo in the past, but it seemed like too much of a distraction for my students.  I like the Mystery Student idea though!!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    High School
    Teaching since: 2000
    Florida
  • January 10, 2017 at 5:00 pm

I try to work with them and not against them 🙂 I provide an opportunity for partner or group work at the beginning of class to let them get it out of their system. Then transition to independent activity (quiet work). I also work with my more chattier classes to get them on a topic and let talk as long as it is on topic with what they are doing. I try to weigh whether the chattiness I really a problem or just annoying to me 🙂 I can’t sit in a room all day with friends and not chat. Sometimes it is helpful to see things from their perspectives.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center