Join the Conversation! Visit the Really Good Teachers Forum!

Forgot Your Display Name Or Password?

X
OR
Reset Your Password Or Request Display Name

X

A Really Good Stuff® Community

Join Our 1,164 Members Engaging In 347 Posts

Home Forums Technology Best Educational Apps for Kids

Profile photo of Brandi Jordan

Best Educational Apps for Kids

• Follow:
    Share:
to share this thread via email.
  • Profile photo of Brandi Jordan
    Brandi Jordan
    Teaching since: 1996
    Pennsylvania
  • May 23, 2016 at 6:45 am

What are your favorite educational iPad/tablet apps for kids?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2012
    New Mexico
  • July 8, 2016 at 2:19 pm

It’s simple, but the Weather app is awesome for my science center! The kids gather the weather information for three different locations each day and track it in their journals.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 2006
    Massachusetts
  • July 19, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I have been using Class Dojo for the past few years. Students like to see what they are doing well in and where they need to improve. Students can even create their own avatar. I used mine as a check in during our morning routine. There is an attendance feature for you to keep track of absences and tardies. There are so many new components to the app. You can post pictures to the Class Story (I posted pictures when we were on a field trip and parents loved seeing what their child was doing), they have added a School Story where you can post announcements and pictures to everyone connected with the school, and they just introduced Student Story where students can create a digital portfolio. Last year they introduce short videos about the Growth Mindset. My kids loved them and wanted to watch them several times. Often you would hear students talk to their friends using positive words like, “I know that you think that you can’t do this now. But, you just can’t do it yet. Keep trying.”

My parents loved the feedback they received from me. Class Dojo has a messaging service that goes directly to the parents. just like instant messenger. It is great for Family Engagement and Communication. Try it out and if you have any questions just ask!

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    1st Grade
    Teaching since: 1974
    New York
  • July 19, 2016 at 10:12 pm

My two favorites are Kodable and Dreambox. Both are fee-based but well worth it.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Teaching since: 1996
    New Hampshire
  • July 20, 2016 at 11:56 pm

math playground, spelling city

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    New York
  • July 25, 2016 at 10:55 am

“Raz-Kids” is amazing!! Each student can have their own login with individualized leveled or unleveled books. There’s also letter ID/letter sounds and read-along songs for new readers. For higher readers, there are quizzes with comprehension questions after the student reads the passage/book (teacher can view the responses). There’s also a section for the student to record him/herself reading to practice fluency and self-correcting. The only downside to Raz-Kids is that your school needs to sign up and pay for a membership.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Elementary School
    Virginia
  • August 6, 2016 at 9:00 am

Using an Osmo with an iPad is really engaging. It is part math, science, coding, engineering, art, and all parts fun. Also, code.org is a wonderful site for students to visit to problem solve. It encourages critical thinking and is highly engaging, plus it bolsters skills that they will need in the future.

Report this post
  • Classroom Teacher
    Kindergarten
    Teaching since: 2000
    Wyoming
  • August 10, 2016 at 10:03 pm

We love Kahoot. I also really like Moose Math and Word Wagon from Duck Duck Moose.

Report this post
to share this article.
  • really Good Stuff Community
  • Weekly Recap

© 2017 Really Good Stuff, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Preference Center